Understanding Liability at Summer Parties

Categories: Personal Injury Lawyer

Understanding Liability at Summer Parties

https://www.injurylawpalmbeach.com/article/intoxicated-slip-and-fall/If you get injured at a party, it is important to understand your rights and the laws that apply to your situation. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain, and other losses; and, if so, there are some important steps you will need to take in order to protect your rights.

Q: I fell during a party at my neighbor’s house. Can I seek compensation? If so, will my neighbor have to pay?

Fall-related injuries at house parties are common. From spilled drinks to stairs that are in a state of disrepair, there are often numerous slip and trip hazards at house parties all over Palm Beach County. We will assume you were a guest at your neighbor’s party, so this makes you a “licensee” under law. This means that your neighbor has a legal duty to protect you from unreasonably dangerous conditions on his or her property, either by fixing the condition (such as cleaning up a spill) or providing adequate warning (such as putting a rope with a sign across the stairs).

If your neighbor is liable for your fall-related injuries, in a typical case, your compensation will come from your neighbor’s home insurance policy – not from your neighbor directly. The risk of injuries like yours is one of the primary purposes why people have home insurance.

Read more: falling while drunk

Q: I was injured during a party on a boat. Who is legally responsible for my medical bills and other losses?

The answer to your question will depend on a variety of factors. For example, who owns the boat? Does the person who threw the party own the boat; or, was it rented for a special occasion? Likewise, how did you get injured? Did an issue with the boat itself cause the accident (such as a slippery step or floor); or, where you injured by another partygoer? Injuries sustained in boat accidents will frequently support claims for financial compensation, but we need to get to the bottom of what happened before we can identify who should be held financially accountable.

Q: I was injured by a drunk patron at a nightclub. Can I sue the nightclub’s owner for my injuries?

Possibly. Under Florida law, a bar or nightclub can be held legally responsible for the actions of a drunk patron if either (i) the patron is under the age of 21, or (ii) the establishment served someone who was known to be a habitual drinker. However, does not have a “dram shop” law similar to other states’ laws which impose liability for serving someone who is visibly intoxicated.

If this law does not protect you, another one might. For example, if the nightclub was packed beyond capacity and you were injured in the crowd, this may provide you with another way to seek financial compensation.

Call for a Free Consultation

At Brian D. Guralnick Injury Lawyers, we help individuals who have been injured in Palm Beach County Demand More® for their losses. To find out if you have a claim – and to find out how to protect your rights – call me, Brian D. Guralnick, personally at 561-202-6673 today.

Disclaimer: The information in this blog is not intended, and must not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. If you need advice on specific legal issues, please consult with a licensed Personal Injury attorney.

Were you or a loved one injured in an accident?

The law offices of Brian D. Guralnick help Florida residents and tourists seek compensation and Demand More? for their injuries.

Brian D. Guralnick

About the Author: Brian D. Guralnick

Brian D. Guralnick has been successfully representing injured accident victims in Florida since 1993. He has been voted “Best of the Best” personal injury lawyer by the Palm Beach Post for multiple years. If you have been injured in any type of accident, please call Brian and his team 24/7 at 561-202-6673.