WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAINS AFTER A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT?
Every year, thousands of Floridians are involved in car accidents , from simple hit-and-runs in a parking lot to catastrophic collisions on the interstate. Distracted driving, driving under the influence of substances and speeding are the top three reasons accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are, the reality is that you are likely to be in an accident while driving. course of his life.
Once you’ve determined that everyone is okay after an accident, do you know what your next steps should be? Many injuries are not noticed immediately after an accident, and proper documentation is vital to ensuring that you are compensated for an accident that was someone else’s fault. The goal is to help those who have been injured in a car accident, and we have some basic steps for you to focus on after an accident.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER A TRAFFIC ACCIDENT?
There are several guidelines that you should follow after being involved in an accident . You may feel a little scattered after the accident, so it’s important to be prepared to document any injuries or damages that are caused by the negligence of another driver.
- Move vehicles to a safe area if possible or turn on hazard lights if vehicles cannot be moved.
- Check and make sure no one is seriously injured ; if there are injuries, call the corresponding emergency number.
- Always call the police on the scene, no matter how small the accident.
- Gather information about the accident, including the location, contact information for witnesses, license plate numbers, the names of the passengers and driver, the model and make of all vehicles involved, and the license plate number and license plate number. name of any agent involved in your appeal.
- Document the scene with quick photos, if you can.
- Get a medical checkup to document any injuries and determine if you need medical treatment.
Many times, people who are involved in a minor car accident feel that they are fine and refuse medical treatment . The concern is that later you may notice that you have injuries and if they are not documented, it is difficult to prove that they were caused by the accident.
There are several types of injuries that are common in car accidents . Among these are:
- Soft tissue injuries of ligaments, muscles and tendons. Whiplash would be included in this type of injury and causes stretching of the ligaments and muscles of the neck and head. Sprains of the lower and middle back muscles are also common soft tissue injuries.
- Cuts and scrapes are often caused by stray objects in the car or by airbag deployment.
- Head injuries can be of varying severity, from minor to life-threatening. Any unexpected change of direction or stop of a vehicle can cause damage to the tissue and fluid inside the skull. Mild head injuries often cause concussions, which should be treated by a medical professional.
- Leg and arm injuries are also caused by the same force that can lead to head injuries. If the car is hit from the side, the arms and legs can be hit hard against the door. Passengers in a vehicle rarely have much legroom and injuries can be caused by hitting the seat or dashboard in front of them.
Another common problem that people report is chest pain after a car accident. Accidents often cause bruises or contusions to the chest, but there are also more serious problems that can cause chest pain. Any chest pain you have after a car accident should be evaluated by a medical professional.
COMMON CAUSES OF CHEST PAIN AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT
If you have pain in your sternum after a car accident, it may be due to multiple injuries. Chest pain is usually a sign of a more serious injury, although even catastrophic injuries may not cause excessive pain. That’s why it’s so important to get a medical checkup after every car accident. The most common causes of chest pain after a car accident are:
- Muscle Strain: A car accident can cause a strain to the chest muscles. Although it is rarely a life-threatening injury, it should be checked out by a doctor.
- Bruised ribs: If the ribs or sternum are injured after a car accident, there may also be chest pain. The symptoms are usually pain without intensity in the chest that are especially noticeable when moving.
- Broken ribs: Traffic accidents often result in broken or fractured ribs and are defined by intense stabbing discomfort in the chest. If the chest hits the steering wheel or is restrained by the seat belt during an accident, it is common for ribs to break.
- Injuries to internal organs: Any damage to internal organs, such as the heart, can manifest itself through chest pain and can also be a sign that a heart attack is coming. Along with chest pain, you may notice dizziness, headache, shortness of breath, and fatigue, if you have injuries to internal organs.
Since pain is subjective and varies from person to person, there is no definitive way to determine the intensity of pain before seeing a doctor. This means that it is better to be safe than sorry and always get checked after an accident. If you have serious chest injuries and need compensation for medical bills, lost income, or pain and suffering from an accident, documentation from a medical professional is vital to your personal injury case.
SHOULD YOU SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY OR WAIT?
You must get medical care within 14 days of being injured in a Florida car accident or you risk having your insurance company deny your claim. You should seek medical attention as soon as possible for two reasons:
Were you or a loved one injured in an accident?
The law offices of Brian D. Guralnick help Florida residents and tourists seek compensation and Demand More? for their injuries.
- Your well-being and health are at risk if you go longer without treatment.
- It is difficult to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident if you wait too long to seek treatment.
After you see a doctor, you will also need to document any immediate and ongoing medical expenses you incur. If you were not at fault in the accident, but are forced to seek prolonged medical treatment, you should not have to pay for assistance. Your personal injury attorney and auto insurance company may require documentation and proof of your medical expenses to ensure that you get the care you deserve and the compensation to pay for it.
SHOULD I HIRE AN ATTORNEY AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT?
Although it may seem like you can navigate the legal system and insurance claims process after a car accident, the reality is that things can get very complicated, and quickly. If the other driver claims you were at fault, it may be difficult for you to get the insurance company to pay for your repairs and medical bills. One way to protect yourself against this is to hire a personal injury attorney immediately after the accident occurs. Consulting an attorney quickly can make all the difference in your case and your future.
No matter how minor the accident, it is important that you consult with a qualified personal injury attorney. If you have been injured in a car accident in Palm Beach County, I encourage you to contact me personally, Brian D. Guralnick, to discuss your legal rights . To learn how the injury team at Brian D. Guralnick Injury Lawyers can help you Demand More® for your injuries, call 561-202-6673 now.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. If you need advice on specific legal issues, please consult a licensed personal injury attorney.